This study is designed to use Iraqi camel serum instead of fetal calf serum in the tissue culture media.
The study includes the propagation of cancer cell lines Human layrnx carcinoma (Hep-2) , Murine mammary adenocarcinoma (AMN-3) and normal cell line, Rat Embryo Fibroblast (REF) in media which contains three concentrations (5%,10% & 15%) male camel serum in three ages (five months , two years & five years) for seven days. In addition this study is extended to assess the effect of camel serum in growth rate , phases of cancer and normal cell growth curves by studying the period of each of these phases and PDT period in comparison with (5% bovine serum) as a control. Morphological pictures of these cell lines are described in comparison with control. The comparison is also conducted between the three concentrations and the three ages of camel serum . In addition to the Cytogenetic analysis is studied for these cell lines that are treated with three concentrations of camel serum in five month age by studying the Mitotic Index (MI) and Chromosomal profile in comparison with control.
One face of the study found the effect of four concentrations (5%,10%,15%&20%) from camel serum in three ages on the growth of normal human lymphocytes with mitogen (PHA) by measuring the (MI) and Blastocyte Index (BI) in comparison with the same four concentrations of bovine serum and 20% of human plasma(as a control). Comparison is conducted between the four concentrations of camel serum and the ages used in this study.
The results showed:
- The camel serum can propagate cancer cell lines (Hep-2 , AMN-3) and normal cell line (REF), but less significant p<0.05 in comparison with control. 15% of camel serum in five month age showed that the best in propagating cancer and normal cell lines especially REF cell line.
- The cancer and normal cell growth curves phases and PDT period , they revealed that there are no differences in the phases of growth curves between the former cell lines that are treated and non treated (control) with the three concentrations of camel serum in three ages , except in the periods of each phase that differed in concentrations and age of camel serum, so the treatments showed that the Lag Phase period is shortened and the Log. phase period is elongated with shorted in PDT period when the concentration of camel serum is increased and age of camel is decreased.also the Lag phase period is longer than control with shorter Log. phase period and longer PDT in comparison with the control.
- The same Decline phase period showed in most cell lines that are treated with camel serum and with control.The five month age of camel serum in 15% concentration revealed that the nearest one to the control in period of phases and PDT.
- normal cell line (REF) had the longer Lag phase with the short Log. phase and longer PDT period in comparison with the other cell lines that are used in this study.
- The effect of four concentrations of camel serum in three ages on growth of human normal lymphocytes with mitogen (PHA) showed that the high significant effect p<0.01 in comparison with the control. The result also showed that 20% concentration in five month age is the best for normal lymphocytes growth,
Morphological pictures and Chromosomal analysis to the cell lines revealed that no differences between treatment and control. with no effect on the number and structure of chromosomes of human normal lymphocytes.